Proper Bidet Etiquette
Bidet Etiquette for the Uninitiated
If you’ve ever travelled overseas you’ve probably come across a bidet at least once. You might’ve found yourself staring at the controls, wondering how in the world you’re supposed to use such a device. Fear not! The bidet is an amazingly effective and easy to use device and these bidet etiquette tips will help you to avoid such mistakes as pooping in the bidet.
- That brings up our first point; make sure that you do all of your “eliminating” into the actual toilet. Bidets are made for washing up afterwards, not for urinating and defecating into. Everyone will really appreciate it if you follow this most important of rules.
- Use the bidet controls to adjust the water pressure until it’s perfect for you. Some people like a mellow flow while others prefer an intense blast. Do whatever is most comfortable for you while still ensuring that you get fully clean. Try to resist all urges to spray the bidet across the room; making a mess with the bidet is another serious no-no in bidet etiquette.
- Adjust the temperature of the water to a comfortable level. Some bidets have only one tap while others have two. You might need to experiment at first to find the perfect temperature for your private areas. Be careful not to burn yourself!
- Dry yourself with either toilet paper or a towel from a nearby stack of towels. Be extremely careful to not use any towels that are meant for hand-washing! That’s obviously a serious offense to bidet etiquette. In some countries, sewage systems aren’t well-equipped to handle large amounts of toilet paper, so remember to use the bare minimum necessary to dry yourself.
- Run the bidet’s water stream gently to help wash away anything that might be in the bowl. Once the water is completely clear, you can stop.
- If there are any puddles, splashes or drips anywhere, please clean them up. You don’t want the next bidet user to slip and fall because of your thoughtlessness.
As you can see, using a bidet is a relatively simple matter and following bidet etiquette is essential in providing a pleasant experience for yourself as well as the next bidet-goer.